Thursday, March 27, 2008

Everything I learned about cleaning I learned from Martha


And my mom. My mom's house is always very clean and very organized. Unfortunately for me, I didn't learn a ton from her because I never had to do much cleaning when I was a kid. Really, I hardly ever had to do any chores. I know, pathetic, right?

Enter: Martha Stewart's Homekeeping Handbook. Seriously, this thing has been SO helpful to me. It's full of straightforward descriptions and pictures on how to clean and organize everything in your home.

For example, did you know you should pour boiling water down all of the drains in your house weekly? I did not. It's so easy to do, just put a pot of water to boil while you're cleaning the kitchen/bathroom/whatever, then dump the water down the drain when you're finished.

Anyway, thanks to this book, because I now clean every week, it only takes me like 5 minutes to clean a bathroom...sweet!

My favorite cleansers: Mrs. Meyer's (lasts FOREVER), Bon Ami, and vinegar + water.

6 comments:

Tizzalicious said...

I could use that book!

Heather said...

First of all, NO I did NOT know you are suppsed to do that... so I just poured boiling water down my kitchen sink. Thanks for the tip! And secondly, that book is now on my shopping list - I could use all the housework help I can get, plus Martha makes everything so pretty!

Lauren said...

Seriously, I am a cleaning loser, and the book makes it easier!

femputer said...

Hmm... very interesting about the boiling water!

Anonymous said...

I love Mrs. Meyers cleaning stuff, and Martha, too. I would not know how to fold a fitted sheet if it were not for Martha. My sheets would still be in a crumpled pile in the closet if it weren't for her. Oh wait, they still are. Just because I know how, doesn't mean I do it.

Mumsy said...

I need that book!